The color wheel is made up of 6 colors.
3 Primary: Red, Blue, Yellow
3 Secondary: Green, Orange, Purple
Primary colors cannot be mixed from any combination of colors.
Secondary colors are combinations of the primary colors.
Red and Yellow = Orange
Red and Blue = Purple
Blue and Yellow = Green
Complementary colors are opposite colors on the color wheel.
Red and Green are Complements
Yellow and Purple are Complements
Orange and Purple are Complements
Orange and Blue are Complements
Yellow and Blue are Complements
Complementary colors work well together. When used in an interior setting they should be used in equal amounts and equal tone or intensity.
Harmonious colors are the colors next to one another on the color wheel.
Red and Orange
Blue and Purple
Blue and Green
Green and Yellow
Yellow and Orange
Red and Purple
In the 1920’s Itten, who is affiliated with the German Bauhaus movement, developed the color star that included 12 colors.
3 Primary Colors
3 Secondary Colors
6 Tertiary Colors
Mixing two secondary colors together creates Tertiary Colors.
Adding white or black to a color changes the shade of that color. For example: adding white too red creates a pink, which is a shade of red.
An interior scheme made up of different shades of the same color is a monochrome color scheme.
Tone describes different gradations of a color. There are warmer and cooler tones of a color. For example: add green too blue and you have blue-green that is warmer or add blue to purple and create a blue-purple that is cooler.
The important concept to understand is every color has a different tone or undertone.
Many times the undertone does not show itself on a single paint sample. It helps to see the colors that come before and after the color on the paint chart. This will give you a hint as to what tone the color may take on.
Another way to see a color's undertone is to put the color next to the other colors in the room. You will then begin to see the undertone of a color.
Have you ever painted a room one color and it turns out to be another? This is because all colors have an undertone. Looking at an all white paint chart will help you to visualize this concept. They are all white but if you see them next to one another some appear pink, yellow even blue.
In issue two we will discuss the effects' colors have on people. For example: Green has a calming effect.
Label: Design Element
- ► 2011 (48)
- ► 2010 (24)
- The Bed Montage
- 'Transformers' Sofa Bed
- Brilliant Spiral Sink and Wash Basin Design
- Creative Modern Interior Kitchen Designs
- Unconventional Modern Bedroom Furniture Sets
- Bathing Beauty
- Clear View Ahead
- Blooming Furniture Set
- Furniture That Grows With Your Child
- Illuminated LED Furniture
- Poufman Living Room Set
- Wave Chaise Teenage Bedroom Set
- Kure Pod Dining Table & Chairs
- Stanislav Katz’ Brilliantly Bright Furniture Desig...
- M-cube Mobile, Modular, Multi-Functional Seating
- Stackable Furniture for Small Spaces
- Livable Patio Set Livens Up Stone
- Kraft Paper SoftSeating
- KEWB Multi-Functional Living Room Set
- ‘Stay at My Home’ Sleep Set for Guests
- Space-Saving Teak Bathroom Furniture
- Hydrogen Z.CAR with Speed Adjusted Wheelbase
- Dynamic Architecture 4 : A NEW ERA OF GREEN BUILDI...
- Dynamic Architecture 3 : PREFABRICATION
- Dynamic Architecture 2 : A BUILDING IN MOTION
- Dynamic Architecture 1 : DYNAMIC TOWER | DUBAI
- Avoiding Mistakes in Interior Design
- Modern Design Shop with L-shaped walls
- MyModernWorld : Modern Home Design Ideas
- Cafe Design, Wooden Room, Simple Lighting
- Design of Cafe and Restaurant
- Spectral Light Combinations in A Romantic Bathroom...
- Bathroom with Traditional Style, Elegant Design in...
- Decorating a room with style Yellow and White
- Seems clean interior design of private homes
- Kitchen Design with Green Color
- Home Design with Nature Materials
- Living Room Decorating Idea
- Design to maximize the Window of Natural Lighting
- Lights in the Design Unique Shape
- Home Design as environmental-friendly House
- Zongluquan Interior Design, Modern Home Design
- Atlantis Hotel in Dubai with Royal Interior Design...
- Living room with a minimalist warm color
- Natural Lighting for Best Home Design
- Metal furniture in the Modern House Design
- Minimalist lighting design in the workspace
- Pink Minimalist Living Room
- The advantage of Minimalist Design
- Rooms Apartments Minimalist Design
- Black and White Modern Room Design
- Minimalist Home Theatre with Interior Digital Desi...
- 3D Interior Design for Dominicion Style
- Color in nature, modern architecture
- Interior Design of Mulligans Restaurant
- Color Wheel
- Googlelandia, Google Office Interior Design
- Buying a home off plan
- Improvements to the house and as a Property Develo...
- Employing Building Contractors
- Project Management
- Furniture is painted Bubble
- Decide Your Interior Design Budget
- The Use of Color in Interior Design
- Space Planning: The Step Beyond Interior Decorati...
- Find Your Interior Design Style
- Why do I need an Interior Designer?
- ▼ February (67)